Monday, July 4, 2016

Why I'm Doing Konmari... Again

If you're reading this post, you've probably heard of Mari Kondo's The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up and her decluttering method that involves only keeping things that spark joy. I've already worked through the method one time and now I'm ready to address one of her more fantastical claims. Kondo states in her book that you will only need to do her method once to have your home completely tidied or decluttered for good.

Well, I'm working through her method again! I was able to get rid of quite a bit during my first journey through the Konmari method. So much decluttering! So why am I doing it again? There are a few reasons that I'm having to disagree with Mari's assertion that once is enough.




First off, I'm moving and downsizing. My current home is definitely feeling too big but I want to make sure the new, smaller place is not over cluttered. When you are downsizing, there's a lot more decluttering to do. Plus, I wasn't sure where we were moving to when I did round 1. Now that I've seen our new space, I know which areas really need extra downsizing.

Secondly, I worked through the method alone, without extra coaching. In The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, Mari does mention several examples of when she prompted her clients to reconsider items they'd placed in the keep pile. And her personality definitely makes me envision her as some one who won't let you get away with things! Anyone doing the method alone will not be as effective as someone with personal coaching. (Although you can still make a huge difference in your home).

Thirdly, I'm a minimalist. The Konmari Method and minimalism do go well together but they are not quite the same thing and don't have the same goals. As a minimalist, I'm seeking to live with less-a lot less. I'm still exploring how much I really want to live with and what seemed like less 6 months ago is already feeling like too much!

So I'm doing the method again! I'm bending a few of the rules this go around to make it work for me. I've made a short video letting you know how I'm planning round two. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top