Monday, June 24, 2019

Captain Marvel Virtual 5k Race Recap

June marked the start of the runDisney Virtual Summer Shorts series which means I have 3 virtual 5ks to do this summer! June's 5k is Captain Marvel themed which I was super excited about. She's one of my favorite Marvel superheroes and an awesome strong female role model.


Just like for the Star Wars Virtual Half Marathon, you print your bib's at home. I had a bit of an issue printing my bibs as I couldn't get the challenge bib to print. It just printed a blank page. And I still haven't figured out what kind of paper to print on so I can actually wear my bib while racing. Oh, well.


I did have plenty of running costumes to pick from though! I went with Ariel. She doesn't really go with the Marvel theme but when in doubt, be a mermaid. I do find that virtual races are more fun if you make a production of them. For me, that means picking a date in advance, wearing a costume and having my bib picked out.

I do wish Disney would ship their virtual medals out earlier. I know other virtual races ship early so you can have your medal right after your races. I think that this is one area Disney could really improve upon. I'll get my medals sometime between July and September (no way to tell exactly when) which really puts a damper on the whole race in my opinion.


 On to the actual race! I got a late start, which I assumed would be no big deal since I was only running a 5k. Famous last words. It's summer in Florida and the best course of action is to run when it's dark out. And I started well after sunrise.

The first half of my run wasn't too bad since I was able to stay in the shade but running back on the opposite side of the road was pretty much all sun. I was baking. I didn't hit anywhere near PR pace but considering the weather and the fact that this is a virtual, not official, run, I was ok with my performance.


Overall, I'm still not the biggest fan of virtual races. I do want to check out some virtual races run by someone other than runDisney. I've got my eye on a Potterhead Running Club race sometime in the future since I also adore Harry Potter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top