Friday, March 29, 2019

Princess Half Marathon 2019 Part 4: Fairy Tale Challenge

We did it! Both Melissa and I ran our very first runDisney challenge at the Princess Half Marathon Weekend. It's called the Fairy Tale Challenge and includes running the 10k and half marathon on Princess Weekend. So after returning to our rooms for a shower, we decided to hit the parks to celebrate! Woohoo!


After getting Mulan to sign our 10k medal, we had to try and catch the other two princesses. Luckily, you can meet both Jasmine and Aurora in Epcot. Jasmine had quite a short line and her cue and meet area are air conditioned which is a bonus on hot days. She was quite sweet and very impressed with our medals.



We both promised to come visit Agrabah some time. Jasmine said she could arrange a flying carpet tour so we could rest our legs. Too bad Carpet wasn't around to give us a lift that day!


We got to Aurora early and waited for her. She had quite a long line, much longer than either Mulan or Jasmine. The photographer and assisting cast member were super organized and kept everybody moving but we didn't really get much character interaction-just photos and our medals signed. If you really want a great character interaction with your medal signing, I'd recommend going on a day other than that of the race where they'll probably be a shorter line or going to a less popular meet and greet area like we did with Donald for Marathon weekend if you can meet the character in more than one park.


I definitely need to go meet Aurora another time when she is not quite so swamped with fans! We grabbed lunch in Epcot as well. Melissa and I are both trying to eat at places we've never eaten at before so we decided to stop at Germany for some brauts and chips. I tried sauerkraut for the first time. I don't think the kraut they had was particularly strong but I actually kind of liked it. Maybe now I won't be so scared of German food.


Then we headed off to the Magic Kingdom for some medal photos with the castle. So magical! I will say that it's pretty annoying walking around wearing more than one medal so I recommend just wearing one at a time and taking the rest out for photos. Whatever finish they used on the Aurora medal scratched really easily so the Jasmine challenge medal was the one I decided to wear in the park.


We ended the day with some really great fastpasses. Despite it being race weekend, I didn't feel like the parks were overly crowded. It's definitely possible to get in some good park time during a runDisney weekend and I actually like having to walk around after a long race. I think it really helps with my recovery.

Speaking of recovery, this weekend really exhaused me so I was glad to have called off of work on Monday to have a day to recuperate at home... and wash all of my stinky running clothes. I know not every one has the option to take that extra recover day, but if you can, I recommend it especially if you run more than one race in a weekend. That's a wrap for Princess weekend but don't worry because Star Wars Rival Run Weekend is just around the corner!

*******

Princess Half Marathon 2019:

Part 1: Expo
Part 2: 10k Race Recap
Part 3: Half Marathon Race Recap
Part 4: Fairy Tale Challenge Race Recap-You are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top