Friday, October 18, 2019

5 Last Minute Tips for Wine and Dine Weekend

Wine and Dine weekend is almost here! If you are running the half or the challenge, we've got our longest long run this weekend and then it's taper time. At this point in the training cycle, there's not much more we can do on the training front but I've got a round up of five last minute tips you still have time to implement before race weekend.

1. Bring a folder for your bib at the expo.


The expo is most people's first stop of race weekend and there is a lot to see and do. The most important thing you'll do is pick up your race bib. You will get a gEAR bag that you can shove your bib in but I'm always worried about mine getting all bent up in all of the hustle and bustle of the expo. I always bring a folder to stow my bib in. It's nice and light and will keep your bib safe as you do your shopping. Plus it's a great place to keep your waivers on your way to the expo.

2. Start a packing list and start packing early.


I know not every one is big on planning for packing but a runDisney weekend isn't your typical race or your typical vacation. There's nothing worse then arriving to a race weekend and realizing you've forgotten something important! Or that there is not coffee maker in your hotel room.... I recommend making a list early so you can add things on as you go along. I also like to pack each of my running costumes in a zip lock bag so that I'm not digging around in my bag trying to find all of the costume pieces.

Bonus tip: I always make notes after each race weekend if there was something I wish I had packed or something I brought that ended up being totally unnecessary.

3. Make sure your FastPass+ and Advance Dining Reservations (ADRs) are ready to go.


If you haven't grabbed Fastpasses or ADRs, there is still time! I like to write mine out or type them on my phone so I can have them all at a glance in case I need them during the weekend. I find the Disney app a bit sketchy sometimes so it's really nice not having to look any of this info up on the app. If you are attending any meet ups, make sure to add those to your schedule. (You may also want to remind yourself to go to bed early like I did. lol)

4. Budget more for food than you think.


Speaking of food, it's Food and Wine Festival time! I know the festival is a huge draw for this race weekend specifically for many people so after your run, you're probably going to want to eat and drink all the things! It is super easy to go way over budget as you enjoy your culinary adventure around the world showcase so I recommend budgeting more for food on this weekend than a normal race weekend. I like to load up a gift card to use each day I attend the Food and Wine Festival so I can keep track of how much I've already spent on food for that day. You can get a festival specific wristlet gift card in Epcot which is always really cute.

5. Prepare for summer (and all other weather conditions too)

Much of the US is already enjoying fall (or even a bit of snow) but it can definitely be plenty hot and humid in Florida for this race weekend. I'm local so I'm already physically and mentally prepared for the weather but many runners don't have the advantage of being acclimated to Florida weather. Make sure when you are planning your nutrition and hydration need for the race, bring as much as you'd need for a hot summer race. And plan your running outfit appropriately! Conversely, Florida could always get a cold spell so bring layers for your running and park wear too. And it's always a good idea to bring a poncho with you to the parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top