Monday, October 28, 2019

October Running Recap

After two great races in September, I was really looking forward to a "slow" month in October. Famous last words! My back to back Wine and Dine Challenge training runs really picked up and we started up with a big one!



I started out the month trying to really clean up my diet. I took a nutrition break over the summer to just enjoy eating more of the things I don't eat as much during running season because they just aren't great running fuel for me. But I really wanted to reset before Wine and Dine. I definitely felt the effects of switching up my diet on my 4 mile and 12.5 mile runs the first weekend in October. It was still hot and humid so my runs were slow. My legs were still getting used to my new zero drop Altras but it was a successful weekend.


For my next weekend, I only had a 4 mile run and it was a glorious 69F when I started running! It's been a long, hot summer so I really enjoyed getting to run in this cool weather. Too bad it didn't stick around for long!



Then came my longest run before taper! I did a very soggy 5 miles in my Vibrams. I'd never run that far in them before and I wanted to see if I could use my Vibrams as a back up for the 10k during Wine and Dine weekend in case it was raining. I did fine for the five miles and think I could definitely do a 10k in them. Unfortunately, the 14 miles the next day did not go as well. Part of it was that it was >90% humidity and a high of 90F. But part of it was that my calves and arches were really sore from running in my Vibrams the day before. I ended up walking the last two miles.

But after that, it was into taper and I focused on fueling well and doing proper recovery! And it is good to know that a 10k in my Vibrams is not a good plan A for Wine and Dine weekend. I doubt I'll be running for a PR given the weather predictions but I think my feet will be much better off in my Altras. Fingers crossed for no rain race weekend!


This past weekend also was not great running wise. I got a migraine Saturday night and it was still in full force Sunday morning so I went back to bed and skipped my run. Being that it's taper week and my body obviously was screaming for rest, I think that was the best option. I did get to do some yoga Saturday morning which felt really great after a very high milage month. I really want to do more yoga going forward. I did allow myself some vegan chocolate cake because chocolate makes things better.

Wine and Dine is coming up this weekend so I'm going to go and start packing. Expect to see race weekend posts next week and be sure to follow me on Instagram @stephandless if you want to follow along this weekend. Until then, check out some of my 2019 runDisney race recaps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top