Friday, September 27, 2019

runDisney Virtual Summer Shorts Race Recap

Back in June, I did a full recap of the first race in this series, the Captain Marvel 5k so be sure to check out that race recap to see my thoughts on that race but I still had two virtual 5ks to run over the summer!

One nice thing about these being 5ks is that it's pretty easy to fit them into an existing running plan. You don't have to set aside a lot of time or miles to get in your virtual race. My issue was that my midweek runs were a bit over 2 miles and my short long runs were 4 miles so nothing fit perfectly. I ended up just running the 5k in lieu of one of my 4 mile long runs.


I ran the Iron Man July 5k on July 7th in my Captain America top because I'm team Cap all the way. At this point, my medals still hadn't arrived so it was a hot, sweaty underwhelming run.


About a week later, my medals finally arrived and I was able to hang up the two I had earned so far. Like all runDisney medals, they are stunning but I do wish I could have had them earlier!


The last race of the series was Black Panther themed for August. I ran this race on August 17th and by this point in time, I was deep in sports bra only running season so I didn't dress up for this one. Again, it was hot and sweaty as you can tell by our shiny faces! lol


I really liked the bullet journal spread I did for this race series. The Iron Man doodle came out a bit funky but Captain Marvel and Black Panther came out really well. I definitely didn't have any amazing times or experiences running this race series but running in the summer in Florida is always death.


And now that I've earned them all, the race medals do really look nice on my wall. Overall though, I don't think I'm much of a virtual race person. I'm pretty self motivated so I don't feel like I needed them to get me out the door and onto running. I don't like the 5k distance and that's once race distance I don't have a problem finding locally. Plus, it was a huge let down to not be able to wear the bib and not have a medal immediately afterwards. I much preferred the Star Wars virtual half as part of the Kessel Run Challenge.

So I think I'll probably skip the virtual series next summer and save my money for an in person race instead. Do you like virtual races? Are there other nonDisney virtuals I should try before writing them off for good?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top