Monday, February 4, 2019

January Running Recap

The whirlwind of January is over and we've made it to February! There was a lot of running going on over here in January so let's check it out.


I started January in the midst of taper for the runDisney Marathon Weekend half marathon. I was pumped to run my first half marathon and my first runDisney race so week 1 was nice and easy.

Week 2 saw more taper and prepping for the race trip. The weather on Saturday was absolutely beautiful for my race and I had an amazing time! I've officially gotten the runDisney bug and I can't wait for the rest of my 2019 runDisney races. I've got a whole slew of detailed race recap posts for this weekend which you can check out here.


runDisney Marathon Weekend Half Marathon:
Distance: 13.1 mi
Time: 2:51:43
Pace 13:06 min/mi
Achievement: First Half Marathon


Recovery was the key to week 3. I did a lot of walking and a single, easy 3 mile run on Saturday. My legs were quite tired after my race so I listened to my body and give it a break. Overall, I was really happy with how prepared I felt for my race and I felt like my recovery went really smoothly.


I got to get back into running in the fourth week of the month. I decided to up my mid week runs from 30 mins to 45 mins but it was a lot. Losing that extra sleep in the morning coupled with a very busy and stressful work week was not a winning combo. And then I started my first back to back runs in preparation for the Star Wars Rival Run Challenge. My one mile on Saturday was great but then it rained for the next 36 hours and I had to do my 8 mile long run on the treadmill. I got it done but, man, intervals are a pain in the butt on the treadmill.


I switched back to my 30 min week day runs during the last week in January and it felt great. I'd love to be able to work up to 45 mins at some point in time but not right now. Technically this week should be a taper for a 5k & 1 mi challenge on Saturday 2/2 so I'm not too upset. The race recap for the Super Hero Challenge should be up later this week!

I logged 50 miles of walking and running this month which has been my average for the last few months. I'm not planning on training for any distances past a half marathon in 2019 so I'm expecting my monthly milage to be around 50 a lot this year.

How has your January running been going? Did you have a big race this month or are you training for a spring race?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top