Friday, February 8, 2019

Super Hero Challenge Race Recap

This past weekend, I participated in my very first running challenge-a 1 mi and 5k! The Super Hero Challenge was a charity race to support advocates for abused and neglected children in my county. I hadn't run a 5k in over a year so I decided to sign up and see how much my time had improved. It was held at a local outdoor style mall.


My church's running group 3:14 Running also decided to do this run as our team race for the winter so a bunch of my friends showed up to participate! We all wore super hero running outfits. It's been great seeing some of newer runners really step up and complete their first races. I know they'll make great progress in 2019 if they keep at it.

First up was the 1 mile race. I decided to use the 1 mile as the warm up for my 5k so I could push really hard and crush my 5k PR. I felt a little silly going that slowly and getting passed by all the kids but you've got to run your own race. It was over before I knew it and we all regrouped to wait for the 5k to start.


Super Hero 1 mi
Time: 11:35
Pace: 11:35 min/mi
Achievement: warm up for the 5k

For the 5k, I was feeling warm and ready to go so I went out fast. Since I'm currently training for the Star Wars Rival Run Challenge, I didn't do any specific training for the 5k. So I went out too fast! My first mile was at 9:35 min/mi which is pretty speedy for me. I slowed down a bit for the second mile, which was a good idea as I got side stitches right around mile 2. :( But I know how to handle them so I slowed my run down and made sure to stretch during my walk intervals.

They did eventually go away but that last mile felt so long! I think part of it was mental. After running a half marathon, my brain though 5k = short and easy and it expected short and easy. Which made it feel even longer! Plus, I miss read the course map. I thought the course was a loop twice so I kept waiting to start the second loop but we never did!


The finish line was right after a sharp turn so I didn't see it coming until the last minute! But by that point, I had recovered enough to sprint in the finish. I didn't hit my A goal of 33 minutes flat but I came really close and considering that I had side stitches, I was really happy with that.


Super Hero 5k
Time: 33:40
Pace: 10:51 min/mi
Achievement: 5k PR by 7:42

The race did a great job of having spectators a long the course and lots of mascots for entertainment before and after. It was a light and fun race. And there were only about 400 runners so there was so much space on the course compared to runDisney! The course ran along a lake and was actually a lot prettier than I was expecting for a race around a mall. I was a bit disappointed in the post race nutrition offerings. No bananas! I thought that was a running rule or something. They had donut holes and mini muffins, which I couldn't eat due to my food allergies. This is exactly why I always bring some post race nutrition to all of my races.


There were 3 age group placers in my group of friends, Will, Melissa and Paul. They each got an age group medal in addition to the challenge finisher medallion. I was kind of bummed about the challenge medallion. The age group medal was featured heavily in the advertising so I was kind of expecting to get that medal. But my PR still counts no matter what kind of medal I came home with and the medallion was a good option for a race with so many young kids running.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on your PR! I have to say I find 5ks to be tough because you think it’ll be easy and they’re not because you tend to go faster. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! 5k's are definitely a different kind of race physically and mentally.

      Delete

Back to Top