Friday, April 12, 2019

Star Wars Rival Run 2019 Part 1: Expo


Finally, Star Wars Rival Run Weekend arrived! We headed out bright and early to hit up the expo on Friday. We arrived around 9:30 am which left us plenty of time to park and get in line for bib pickup before the expo officially opened at 10 am. Since we were running both the Rival Run Challenge and the Kessel Run Challenge, we had to stop at two pick up stations. First, we got our Rival Run bib and then had our challenge photo taken. For the challenges, runDisney uses a photo taken at the expo to verify your id after the half (or marathon if you run Dopey or Goofy). Then we stopped by the Kessel booth to get our wristband and our virtual medal.


I was really excited to get the R2D2 virtual medal. It was the one I was most looking forward to getting. It's so cute! And inside the virtual medal box was a surprise gift-a mini medal replica pin! I love the medal pins and I was really excited to get one for the virtual race. I immediately put on my medal to wear at the expo.


They moved the bib pickup to the same building as the runDisney official merchandise and the bib area exited right onto the merchandise floor. I really enjoyed this set up as I was really excited to check out all of the Star Wars goodies! We ran into several friends from the Joyful Miles Facebook group at the expo. I've really loved getting to know so many wonderful people through runDisney. My running friends are the best!


I ended up picking up just a few things. I grabbed mini medal replica pins from the 10k, half and challenge. They had sold out of the Kessel mini medal replica pin on Thursday so I skipped that one. I also picked up another baseball cap. I've really fallen in love with running in ball caps! And there were several options available during this weekend. I ended up picking the challenge one. It has a tie fighter and x-wing on it. I decided to skip magnets for this weekend. I didn't love any of the designs and with all of the free passholder magnets I've been getting, my magnet collection is already getting a bit out of hand! No Dooney and Bourke purse this year either but that made my wallet happy.


We also stopped for some character photos outside the runDisney merchandise area. Boba Fett wasn't out yet (the characters have limited hours during the expo) but we did get a great shot with the Han Solo in carbonite background. It was so much fun!


And the other character was R2D2 which was perfect for a medal photo with our virtual half medals. The R2 was one owned by a 501st member and he was beautiful! The 501st really knock Star Wars cosplay out of the park and I love that they were here for the weekend!


Then we headed over to the main expo area for shirts and to check out the vendors. I ran into an issue with my shirts. I had originally ordered a women's small but like for Princess and Marathon weekends, they were too big. But they didn't have any XS available! Ah! I did check back later and was able to get a set of XS shirts but if you think you might need a shirt at either end of the size range, order the one on the end as it's easier to exchange for sizes in the middle.


I didn't end up getting anything from the vendors this time which ended up being a good thing as I ended up picking up a few more Disney things during the rest of the trip. I love going to the Dress Shop in Disney Springs to try on the new Disney dresses. I ended up falling in love with the Captain Marvel dress! I didn't really know anything about Captain Marvel before seeing the movie but I loved Vers/Carol Danvers! (Don't worry! Proper outfit photos to follow!)


And I also finally jumped on the Loungefly backpack bandwagon and got the matching Captain Marvel backpack. I might have gone a bit overboard.... but the runDisney virtual summer series is Marvel themed and there is a Captain Marvel one. :D


And the inside has a really cool Marvel print fabric! I love fun design details like that.

Speaking of Disney Springs, we headed over there for the Joyful Miles meet up after the expo so keep an eye out for that post coming soon!


******

Star Wars Rival Run Posts:

Part 1: Expo-you are here.
Part 2: Joyful Miles Meet Up
Part 3: 10k
Part 4: Half Marathon
Part 5: Rival Run Challenge
Part 6: Kessel Run Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back to Top