Friday, April 19, 2019

Star Wars Rival Run 2019 Part 3: 10k

When Will and I first started talking about Star Wars Weekend 2019, my total running career amounted to one 5k and I hated it. But runDisney looked like so much fun and Star Wars weekend was just a month before our 10 year anniversary so we came up with the genius idea to run a 10k for our 10 year. By the time registration came around, however, I had already signed up for the WDW Marathon Weekend half marathon and talked myself into trying the Star Wars Weekend Challenge. We decided to still run the 10k together and then go at our own pace for the half.


We had a 2:30 am wake up call and made it out on the second bus from our hotel. When we got to the start area in the Magic Kingdom parking lot, the character lines were already so long! I think the rain on the morning of the 5k kept people from getting as many photos that morning so they were all out trying to get photos at the 10k. The only character photo we got before hand was Darth Vader.


Once we got out of his line, we decided to head to the corrals as the other lines were all 45+ mins. Will was supposed to be in corral A but he dropped back to C with me. We got a nice spot in the corral and enjoyed some dancing to the music the DJ played. They did a little preshow with First Order Troopers and resistance fighters. The Troopers' bit seemed to be about the same as last year and the whole thing was a bit cheesy. (It was even cheesier the next morning during the half as the performance was almost word for word the same.) But soon it was time to start!


We quickly came upon our first character stop which was Rey with a Takodana backdrop. She did a really great job as Rey.


Soon afterwards, there were a bunch of 501st and Rebel Legion members. The 501st and Rebel Legion and dark side and light side star wars cosplay groups, respectively, who do a lot of charity events. There's no photopass photographers for them but we had the people behind us snap a photo on our phones. There were also big screens along this section of the course playing Star Wars clips.


Another cool photo opportunity was sitting in the Emperor's chair. Don't I look like I belong on a throne? The first four miles of the course were along the highway which can be kind of boring between photo stops. I also had a really hard time hearing my phone beeping for my intervals as the music along the course was really loud! Just something to consider if you use intervals.


Look! An ewok!


We did have one clover leaf on ramp where the green army man usually is. They had the rebel leaders from the preshow here challenging us to keep moving. I didn't like them as much as green army man but it was a nice touch.


We stopped to see Sabine and Ezra (I think) from Star Wars Rebels just outside of Epcot. Hopefully, Rebels will be on the new Disney streaming service so I can finally watch it!


Finally, we hit Epcot during mile 4. We came in the front and took a side detour over by the Sea and the Land before heading out to World Showcase. I love running in Epcot as they really cram in the photopass photographers. The candid running shots are always my favorite. We ended up with some really great couple shots from this area.




 I pretty much had to give up on my interval beeps in Epcot. The music was too loud. So I ran intervals by feel. I wasn't running for time so it wasn't a huge deal but it did make me really nervous for the half as I was planning on going for a PR. I wasn't going to do that without my interval beeps! Will kept me focused on having fun through the end of the race.


One of my favorite photo stops was Darth Maul in the America pavilion. I wish they had a Darth Maul meet and greet in the park somewhere. He's my favorite Star Wars villain!


Soon enough we were headed out of Epcot and into the final stretch. There were more 501st and Rebel Legion members just outside of Epcot and we stopped for a few more photos. Then it was time to cross that finish line and get our medals! I really loved the design of the 10k medal. The gold and green was really striking.


Star Wars Rival Run 10k
Time: 1:59:21
Pace: 19:15 min/mi

We headed down the chute for water, snack boxes and I did it photos. I have to confess that I didn't eat anything from the snack boxes at either race.  This year, the Oreos had been replaced by gluten free pretzels. Normally, I'm all for more gluten free options but as everything else in the box was already gluten free, I didn't think it was necessary. Please bring back the Oreos! I don't really need to refuel much after a 10k, so I ate the banana and then had a chocolate chip Larabar when I got back to the room. (So yummy! Tastes like cookie dough).


******

Star Wars Rival Run Posts:

Part 1: Expo
Part 2: Joyful Miles Meet Up
Part 3: 10k-you are here.
Part 4: Half Marathon
Part 5: Rival Run Challenge
Part 6: Kessel Run Challenge

2 comments:

  1. Love the goals you set!! Fave pic=Eewok. (He would probably get too hot if Eerun. Hyuck hyuck.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it was much hotter than Endor for this race!

      Delete

Back to Top